Today I want to talk about emotional eating as part two to this post. This is so hard to overcome because you have to look beyond food. I can’t tell you how to fix it. This is a time to start that journey to get to know and love yourself. Howvever, I wanted to talk about some tips and appetite vs. hunger.
I am NEVER one to say restrict your hunger, ever ever ever. There are some people though who still struggle with appetite vs hunger. Hunger is that human drive that you need food. Your body is hungry and needs fuel to keep on. This should never be ignored, IMO. On the other hand there is appetite. Appetite is that desire to eat for usually other reasons. Someone brings food to the office and you get a smell of something delicious and then you want food. Your around people eating candy and then you want food. That’s appetite. Sometimes the fun to give in to appetite and I don’t think it should be ignored either. Sometimes though learning to ask yourself “do I really want/need food now” is helpful. Learning to discover WHY you are eating before just eating every good smelling thing. Sometimes the answer is I’m hungry or I want to enjoy company but sometimes the answer is I don’t know why I’m eating.
So moving on here are some tips to help when you can’t stop eating for reasons that aren’t physical. Please don’t use these to restrict when your hungry👍🏼.
1. Eat healthier options: If you’re still really struggling this is definitely going to be the best option. Try and keep trigger foods out of the house (until you feel more balanced) and bring in things to munch on when those feelings arise. Have carrots, salsa, air popped popcorn, apples, rice cakes, etc. Things that are light and healthy as a transition period while your trying to work on emotions.
2. Go run an errand: This can really help. Go to the bank, the store, wherever. Just go run a quick errand and you’ll probably be less munchy when you get back. If you’re still hungry eat a healthy snack.
3. Go on social media: AKA the perfect way to kill time. 😜
4. Call someone: Sounds clique but it works. You don’t have to tell them why you’re calling just catch up, ask about them.
5. Write: I LOVE writing…books, songs, journaling. Escape into a new world for a bit.
If this is something you struggle with I highly recommend The Body Book by Cameron Diaz. Don’t judge because a celeb wrote it, haha, it’s a GREAT book!
I hope this helps! Have a great day😊 ~ Aubrey
Do you or have you struggled with thise? What helped/helps you?